Noun 이/가 아니에요 For Negative Sentence In Korean

Is it possible for me to change "저는 인도네시아 사람이에요. (jo-neun in-do-ne-si-a sa-la-mi-e-yo)" to a negative sentence in Korean?

The sentence above means "I am an Indonesian". But this time I will refuse that fact, so I should say that "I am not an Indonesian". How to declare it in the Korean language?

Based on learning Korean guidebooks, I learned this formula:

Noun 은/는 Noun 이/가 아니에요.

The formula above is the negation of "Noun 은/는 Noun 이에요/예요". But, tonight, it's a bit different. We add 가 as the sentence harmony which is following 아니다. Check our first lesson about the topic markers in Korean.

Just for your information, the basic word of 아니에요 is 아니다. It means "be not, no" in English. Anyway, like the rule in the past, if the last hangul of the noun ends in a consonant, then we use '이 아니다'. So, when the last hangul of the noun is ended by a vowel, then use '가 아니다'.

For example:
이것은 중국 음식이 아니에요.
It isn't Chinese food.

저는 네가 아니에요.
I am not you.

스티브 씨는 영국 사람이 아니에요.
Mr. Steve isn't British.

우리는 친구가 아니에요.
We are not friends.

유양 씨는 가수가 아니에요.
Ms. Yooyang isn't a singer.

How to create a negative sentence in Korean?

What do you think? Is it easy enough to understand? Or, is my explanation very worst? Let's try to understand it again through the conversation below.

👧: 민우 씨는 회사원이에요?
(Minwoo, are you an employee?)
 
👴: 아니요, 저는 회사원이 아니에요.
(Nope, I am not an employee.)

👧: 그럼 학생이에요?
(Then, are you a student?)

👴: 네, 학생이에요.
(Yes, I am a student.)

Source: Yonsei University



Glossaries

아니요 = No
그럼 = Then
중국 음식 = Chinese food
영국 사람 = (a) British
가수 = a singer
네 = you (another form of 너)
우리 = we


Comments